Vulcans win title at Bethany, compete at W&M

Matthew Kifer, Sports Information

The California University of Pennsylvania women’s track & field team captured the team title at the Bethany Invitational on Saturday, while also qualifying four new entries for the Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference (PSAC) Championships at the 51st-annual Colonial Relays hosted by William & Mary over the weekend.

At William & Mary, the trio of junior Julie Friend (Markleysburg, Pa./Uniontown), redshirt sophomore Summer Hill (Honesdale, Pa. Honesdale) and senior Alex Zanella (Everett, Pa./Everett) each reached the league-qualifying mark in the 1,500-meter run while making their outdoor debuts in a field of over 50 runners. Hill and Zanella recorded back-to-back finishes with Hill placing 23rd overall with a time of 4 minutes, 36.93 seconds and Zanella posting a time of 4:37.39, while Friend crossed the finish line in a personal-best time of 4:40.39.

Freshman Jaclyn Reinbold (Macungie, Pa./Emmaus) qualified for the league championships in the 800-meter run after registering a time of 2:20.29 to finish in 22nd place in a field of 75-plus runners. Junior Ieisha Jackson placed sixth overall in the triple jump (university flight) with a mark of 10.79 meters (35-5.00 feet).

At Bethany, Cal U captured the invitational title with 130 points after winning six events and setting two meet records. Freshman Kaila Cannon (Yeadon, Pa./Haverford) earned a pair of victories with league-qualifying marks at the event, winning the triple jump and breaking the meet record with a mark of 11.09 meters (36-4.75 feet). Cannon also won the long jump with a distance of 5.25 meters (17-2.75 feet).

The Vulcans boasted the top-three finishers in the 5,000-meter run with freshman Alyson Pierce (West Middlesex, Pa./West Middlesex) winning the race and setting a new meet record with a time of 18:45.09. Classmates Maddie Thrasher (Greenville, Pa./Greenville) and Maura Glennon (Johnstown, Pa./Westmont Hilltop) placed second and third, respectively, with times of 18:54.18 and 19:07.32.

Junior Emilia Ricciuti (Pittsburgh, Pa./Mount Lebanon) placed first overall in the 400-meter dash after rounding the track in 1:00.55 and finished in second place in the 200-meter dash with a time of 26.90 seconds.

Ricciuti was also the leadoff leg on the 4×400-meter relay that won the event by over 12 seconds with a time of 4:22.24. Sophomore Kailah Holmes (Hatfield, Pa./North Penn), who was the second leg of the relay, placed second in the triple jump and reached the league-qualifying standard with a distance of 10.89 meters (35-8.75 feet).

Junior Shannon Bridges (Saint Marys, Pa./Saint Marys) won the 800-meter run at Bethany with a time of 2:29.72.

Cal U returns to action at the Western Pennsylvania Challenge hosted by IUP on April 10.