Albums of the Week

Simple Plan and Ra Ra Riot

Dan Carmichael, Cal Times Contributor

Taking One for the Team – Simple Plan

Break out that old bottle of black hair dye and dust off your black t-shirts, Simple Plan has released a new album! A band that used to be a guilty pleasure of mine has emerged with a brand new album, and judging by some of the songs, it does not seem like they have changed all that much. Formed in 1999, the band debuted their first and most popular album in 2002. The album entitled “No Pads, No Helmets…Just Balls,” featured what is said to be the bands most popular song, “Perfect.” Rebellious teens and pop punk fans alike found great comfort in the members of Simple Plan and their music. Sadly, after their second album release in 2004, the band seemed to have dropped out of popularity.
Now, 14 years after their first album, Simple Plan releases their fifth studio album, “Taking One for the Team.” As I said before, the band still sounds similar to their younger, 2002 selves but there are some noticeable differences. Two of the tracks include features from the unlikely sounds of rap artist Nelly and hip-hop/reggae duo R. City. The song featuring Nelly was not only the albums first single, but it also provides the most non-punk pop sound possible for the album. I am afraid that Simple Plan has lost a bit of their edge throughout the years. The edge that people like my teenage self used to crave while they were head banging in their basements pretending to be a rockstar.
This album lacks depth. This album lacks angst. This album just lacks any appeal for a pop-punk or even music fan in general to want to listen to. The lyrics are shallow and there are not many good songs to really connect with on an emotional level. The only strong side of this album you can find are the instrumental pieces and even they are dull. This 46 minute album can provide a good listen for someone who is a huge Simple Plan fan, but for you average music listener, this album may not make it past the first two or three songs.

Average Critic Rating: 65/100
My Rating: 58/100

Need Your Light – Ra Ra Riot

Ra Ra Riot, a New York band that formed in 2006, got their start by playing shows at house parties around Syracuse for college students. This indie rock/baroque pop band sounds like a mix between Bon Iver and Vampire Weekend. After releasing two singles, one in 2015 and the other in January of this year, the band delivered their fourth studio album, “Need Your Light.” Ra Ra Riot consists of 5 band members. The band has gone through a few changes in members with the most significant and saddest being the loss of drummer John Ryan Pike in 2007.
In this fourth album, the band blends their instruments very well. At times, however, the blending is almost too well mixed. While there are some songs that provide a slightly different sound from one to the next, many of the songs follow the same tempo and vocal sound. When you look at other bands in this genre and albums previously released by Ra Ra Riot, nothing really sets this album apart from the others. The mellow sounding guitar instrumentals accompanied by the simple percussion and various synthesizer tones combine for a kind of boring listening experience. My favorite part of the album are the bass lines brought on by Mathieu Santos. The vocal parts are nice but the lyrics leave a little to be desired.
At a short 35 minutes in length, this album is a pleasant listen. The well blended tones are surely to be enjoyed by fans of Ra Ra Riot and the genre as a whole. For music fans in general, you may find some very appealing tracks on this album, while others may bore you a little too much. If you want to get a better feel for the band, Ra Ra Riot will be playing a show in Pittsburgh at Mr. Small’s theater on April 12th. Throughout the months of March and April, the band will be playing some shows around the state and in New York and Washington D.C. if you are willing to travel.

Average Critic Rating: 68/100
My Rating: 65/100