Semester Starts with Seven Furloughed Positions

Facebook group #CALUNEEDSKAY surfaces as a result of the decision by the university

Lauren Griffith

The Women’s Center was an office affected by the university’s cost-saving decision, as the Assistant Director Kay Kutz’s position was one of the seven furloughed positions.

Lauren Griffith, News Editor

The semester started at the California University of Pennsylvania, and with it comes seven less employees. Seven positions were furloughed as the university’s needs and resources change. As the university continues to change, several undergraduate programs were put into moratorium and the number of classes offered this semester was reduced.

The furloughs were one of the many topics discussed at the Faculty-Staff Convocation on Jan. 28. Interim President Geraldine Jones also spoke on the strategic plan for 2015-2020, and the financial plan that outlines the 2015-2016 and the 2016-2017 school year.

Interim President Jones reported that the enrollment management team is working with consultants Ruffalo, Noel, and Levitz in order to increase enrollment over the next three years.

“This is a period of adjustment, and I am mindful of how these decisions affect you and your colleagues,” Interim President Geraldine Jones said.

Jones reported that deposits from freshman are up 39% since last year at this time, while deposits are up 13% as well. The winter college saw a 9% increase in the number of students enrolled in 2015 than in the previous year. Since two-thirds of Cal U’s budget comes from student tuition and fees, this demonstrates that the university is addressing the enrollment issue in hopes of being in a better place financially.

None of the furloughed positions are known except one, which is Kay Kutz, Assistant Director for the Women’s Center and Director of the End Violence Center. The decision to furlough Kutz’s position, as well as the six others, is effective April 8.

A Cal U alumnae, Meghan Ycheck, created a Facebook group called #CALUNEEDSKAY, encouraging students to give their impact statements an how Kutz has helped them. Another student, Stephanie Rose, has compiled the e-mails of several university officials and hopes that students in the group will send their impact statements creating an “e-mail flooding” on February 25, the day of the student convocation.

Ycheck and Rose then went through and tagged Cal U’s Facebook page on each post to bring awareness to what these students, alumni, and parents of students were saying.

Lauren Pezzica and Emily Conti, two graphic design students, are creating t-shirts and posters to hang around campus with the hashtag and some of the impact statements that the students have posted. Another student, Lisa Lujetic, called for videos submissions of student’s statements.

The group currently has over 750 members, and the hashtag #CALUNEEDSKAY has spread to Twitter and Instagram as well.

In an article with the Observer Reporter, Chris Kindl said, “These decisions are always difficult to make, and we understand their impact on people’s lives.”

However, students are testifying that Kay “was one of the few staff members who positively influenced my life,” and is “one of the few people that care about those in need at California University of Pennsylvania.”

Kutz is the only licensed mental health counselor in the office, and served as a victim advocate as well as a counselor, according to students in the group.

According to Kindl, the positions were not eliminated because of performance issues and the Women’s Center will continue to serve students under the current director, Nancy Skobel.

“The director is very experienced and fully trained to serve as a victim advocate; she will be able to work with any student who needs those services,” Kindl said.

The students in the group disagree with the university’s decision, and are taking a stand against the furlough of Kutz’s position.

“You can’t buy that type of comfort, and you can’t replace that type of support,” said another student in a Facebook post.