Vulcan Volleyball in Kentucky

September 5, 2018

This past weekend, the Vulcans traveled to Kentucky for the Bellarmine Kickoff Classic for the second volleyball tournament of the year. The Vulcans played four matches but only managed to grab a victory in one of those matches.

The first of two matches for the day on Friday, the Vulcans faced West Virginia Wesleyan. The match ended up going all five sets with the Vulcans securing the victory in a fifth set nail-bitter. In that game, junior Rachel Priore showed her veteran capability when she posted 22 kills and 15 digs. Freshman Sarah Moehring had a breakout performance when she put up 12 kills and 11 digs. Sophomore Madeleine McKenna also got in on the action recording a career high 11 kills. None of this would have been possible without freshman setter Sarah Benson putting up a season high 46 assists.

The second match on Friday didn’t end so kindly for the Vulcans. California fell 3-1 to Davenport. Tina Bellhy and Rachel Priore lead the Vulcans offense in the tough loss. Bellhy recorded seven kills and Priore recorded six. Benson posted another impressive number when she registered 28 assists for the Vulcans and even helping defensively with five digs.

On the second day of the tournament, California lost both games. The first game California faced West Alabama but got swept 3-0. Although the Vulcans lost, Priore continued her hot streak with 11 kills making it her fourth match with double-digits in kills. Benson only posted 19 assists for the Vulcan’s offense.

California’s last match in the tournament also ended in a 3-0 sweep when the faced the hosts, Bellarmine. Priore and Moerhing both tallied six kills and Bellhy put up five. The Vulcans kept the first and third set close, but it wasn’t enough. The first set ended 25-22 and the third set ended 26-24. Sarah Benson finished the tournament strong with 21 assists for the Vulcans.

Although the Vulcans lost three of their four matches in the tournament, there were still some positives to take away. Junior hitter Rachel Priore was named to the all-tournament team with her impressive hitting capabilities. Another player that stood out was freshman Sarah Benson. In her first season with the Vulcans, she is already putting up veteran numbers in the most important position on the court as the setter when she tallied 46 assists against West Virginia Wesleyan.

The Vulcans continue their season this weekend as they host the Vulcan Invitational. The Vulcans face Notre Dame (OH) & Southern New Hampshire on Friday and West Virginia Wesleyan & Nebraska-Kearney on Saturday.