Cal U presents ’An Evening of Creativity’

September 20, 2016

Senior Theatre major Trevon Kiser rehearses Business major, Emily Marmol (foreground) and DJ Miller (Left, Theatre) and Sabria Johnson (Right, Communication Studies) in David Ives’ LONG AGO AND FAR AWAY. As part of AN EVENING OF CREATIVITY, this production runs Thursday, September 29 through October 1st at 7 p.m. and also at 2 p.m. Oct. 1 Call 724-938-5943 for tickets.

CALIFORNIA, Pa. (Sept. 20, 2016) … California University of Pennsylvania’s Department of Music and Theatre presents “An Evening of Creativity” at 7 p.m. Sept. 29-30, and at 2 p.m. and 7 p.m. Oct. 1.

The first production of the fall season previously was billed as “An Evening of One-Acts.”

“This is now changed to ‘An Evening of Creativity’ in order to give our students a broader outlet to express their creative minds,” said Dr. Michele Pagen, co-chair of the Department of Music and Theatre.

“While one-act plays will still be performed, we now will be offering other types of entertainment, as well. With new (theatre program) concentrations in place and with new faculty members and students aboard, we feel this is the perfect way to showcase our department.”

The comedic one-act Long Ago and Far Away, written by David Ives, will be among the selections performed in the Gerald and Carolyn Blaney Theatre in Steele Hall.

The short play takes the audience to New York City, where a young, married couple sits in their empty apartment debating the meaning of life and their roles in it. Things take a mysterious turn when the wife finds herself travelling through time, and identities, on a snowy winter night.

Senior Trevon Kiser directs the performance. Cast members are seniors Ryan Johnson (Gus), Emily Marmoi (Laura) and sophomores Sabria Johnson (Landlady) and D.J. Miller (Jack).

Junior Alexis Hawk is the stage manager, with lighting design by senior Liz Andrews.

The “Evening of Creativity” is open to the public. Ticket price is $12 for adults, seniors and children. Cal U students with valid CalCards pay 50 cents, plus a $5 deposit that is refunded at the show.

For ticket information, or to charge tickets by phone, call the Steele Hall Box Office at 724-938-5943.