Cal U to Hold Second Annual President’s Showcase

Members of the University Choir sing at the first annual President’s Showcase, held last october during homecoming week, This year’s event will be held on Oct. 23 in the Convocation Center, and will feature performances from students and faculty members.

Kristin Bomboy

Fall is here and that means homecoming is just around the corner for Cal U students. Greeks are preparing to build their floats for the homecoming parade, members of the homecoming court are being determined and students are preparing to cheer on the Vulcans at the game. However, there is another homecoming main event being planned and organized on a daily basis; The second annual President’s Showcase

The event, which was started last year by the Office of University Development and Alumni Relations, is designed to fundraise money for student scholarships while highlighting noteworthy students, staff, faculty, and alumni. The event, which is being held on Oct. 23, consists of two parts: a reception and dinner, followed by a talent show intended to “showcase” anyone affiliated with Cal U.

The dinner and reception portion of the night is held in the main lobby and concourse of the Convocation Center and the cost for donors to get a spot at a table is $500. The money raised from this cost is put towards funding student scholarships.

This portion of the night also has a theme tied to it and this year it is “Our Next Great Chapter” according to Cal U’s website. The theme is then presented to event planners at the Convocation Center, like Lindsay Bullis and Dan Bickerton, who are required to “interpret the theme” in order to decorate the lobby and concourse for the reception and dinner.

“We needed to put a twist on it [the theme] to make it cool and fun,” Lindsay said.

Lindsay then said that the main lobby area is going to be decorated like a storybook forest or garden with classic novels tied into the theme. The horticulture club is also letting Conference Services staff use some of their plants to decorate the lobby. The concourse area upstairs will be decorated like an old library with bookcases and desks.

“The bookcases will be filled with books from the library. Lindsay then said that the main lobby area is going to be decorated like a storybook forest or garden with classic novels tied into the theme. The Horticulture Club is also letting conference services staff use some and knick-knacks from around campus,”Bickerton said. “We’re trying to find different things from each department to display in order to showcase Cal U.”

“You work on all these little pieces, but you don’t see it come it together until that night when everything is here,” Lindsay stated. “For me, that’s really cool.”

Following the dinner and reception, a talent show occurs in Steele Hall. The show, which is included in the ticket price for donors and free for Cal U students, highlights members of the Cal U community to show donors what kinds of things their money goes towards.

In order to be in the show, students or organizations are suggested by various people to the planning committee and then sent an invitation to perform. In the past, faculty from the music department has performed, as well as student a cappella groups and members from the theatre department.

This year, one of the groups set to perform is a band called Hear Tonight, started by Cal U students in 2014. Lead vocalist Shane Turner and drummer Evan Yester shared their excitement on being selected to perform that night.

“It’s such an amazing honor to be able to play this showcase,” said Evan. “We’re super excited to perform for our fellow Cal U students and faculty.”

“It’s going to be a great night,” Shane added.