Domestic Violence

October is Domestic Violence Awareness Month

Stephan Yaniga, Contributor

October is domestic violence awareness month, and at California University of Pennsylvania collections for donations are set up in Natali student center on campus. Collections are done every Thursday in October by student organizations.

“Gamma Sigma Sigma is a service sorority on campus, and one of their national philanthropy’s is to do things for domestic violence awareness, so we partnered with the end violence center here on campus.” Said Diane Hasbrouck who is the Director for Volunteer Programs and Service Learning at California University of Pennsylvania.

One in four women and one in nine men experience severe intimate partner physical violence a statistic said by the National Coalition Against Domestic (NCADV).

“I think it’s important that we focus on domestic violence because it’s a big issue in our society and is a problem that needs attention.” Said Carter Vannoy a senior at California University Pennsylvania.

Each Thursday in October there is a collection of different supplies that are taken to shelters.

“Each week on a Thursday in October we collect different items, we collect bears, books, backpacks, and blankets. At the end of the month, the group will take a bear, book, and blanket and put them into a bookbag and drop them off at the Domestic Violence services.” Said Hasbrouck.

The donations go to the Domestic Violence Services of Southwestern Pennsylvania located on Low Hill Road, Brownsville. Once the donations are there the Domestic Violence Services of Southwestern Pennsylvania will distribute the donations to different shelters throughout the state.

“I donated a bookbag for the collection, and hope it helps whoever gets it.” Said Carter.

Domestic Violence Services of Western Pennsylvania has a mission to increase domestic violence awareness. Any contribution is excepted and used to comfort anyone who needs a safe place to go.

“It’s not just students participating in the donations, it’s also faculty and staff donating.” Said Hasbrouck.

The last collection for Domestic Violence month will be held next Thursday from 8 a.m. till 4 p.m. in the Natali student center. This last collection will wrap up the end of domestic violence month here at California University of Pennsylvania this year.

“When women are getting out of a domestic situation, and if they have children with them, they usually are leaving abruptly, so this is a way for the children in these situations to have some items they can call their own and a place to start over again.” Said Hasbrouck.