Meet the Editors

2016 Editors for the Cal Times

Cal Times Editors, Editors

Editor in Chief & News Editor: Rachael McKriger

Rachael McKriger

Editor in Chief & News Editor

Rachael McKriger was elected to be the Editor In Chief of the Cal Times in April 2016 in a unanimous vote. She also serves as the News Editor for the paper, as well as a photographer and writer. Her main area of interest in writing is sports. McKriger also writes outside of the Cal Times, as she’s a sports journalist for four websites. She covers the Pittsburgh Riverhounds and Pittsburgh Steelers for Pittsburgh Sporting News and Pittsburgh Sports Castle. She covers the MLS and U.S. Soccer teams for Real Sports Entertainment Network, and finally she’s a contributor to Politically Incorrect Sports Talk. McKriger also has a freelance photography venture called McKriger Photography, which she started in March 2016. At Cal U, McKriger is a junior studying English with a concentration in Journalism. She is also studying for a minor in Sociology and is expecting a spring 2018 graduation. She is also part of CUTV, Society of Professional Journalists, and the Rainbow Alliance. With the Cal Times, McKriger started out as a writer her first semester (Fall 2015) and then became the Sports Editor in her second semester (Spring 2016).

What/Who is your favorite college sport/team?

The University of Pittsburgh and the University of Alabama. My friend from Alabama converted me to being a fan about ten years ago, and I’ve always loved Pitt! You have to root for the home team!

What is your greatest achievement?

When I got promoted as the “lead” Pittsburgh Riverhounds writer with Pittsburgh Sporting News (a website I write for) in April. Soccer is my favorite sport, so that was the icing on top of the cupcake!

What is your favorite book?

“The Things They Carried” by Tim O’Brien. I’m a nerd who loves her Vietnam books.

What is your favorite film?

Tommy Boy! All hail the comedy legend, Chris Farley!

If you could invite five famous or noted people (past or present) to dinner who would you choose?

Barack Obama, Pete Davidson, David Spade, the late, and great, Stuart Scott and Fabian Johnson (go ‘Gladbach!)

Entertainment Editor: Jessica Crosson
Entertainment Editor: Jessica Crosson

Jessica Crosson

Entertainment Editor

Jessica Crosson is our Entertainment Editor for the Cal Times. Jessica is a sophomore Communication Studies major with concentration in Public Relations and a minor in Acting. Outside of the Cal Times she spends her time working as the Evenings Chair for the Student Activities Board, Treasurer for Cal U’s Public Relations Student Society of America, and participating in various productions in the theatre department. Taking her writing outside of Cal U, Jessica recently became a content creator for The Odyssey. You can find her articles here: https://www.theodysseyonline.com/@jessicacrosson.

My favorite college sport is basketball and I bleed blue for my UCONN Huskies!

What is your greatest achievement?

I don’t know so here are three things I am proud of: raising over $2,000 for the Four Diamonds Fund during my senior Mini-THON in high school, placing second for one of my feature stories and photojournalism in the West Virginia University high school journalism competition and being awarded Student Activities Board member of the year my freshman year of college.

What is your favorite book?

My favorite books are the Harry Potter series books.

What is your favorite film?

Hands down, Remember the Titans.

Robin Williams (gone too soon), Lin-Manuel Miranda and all his glory, Hilary Duff because she’s my idol, Heather Headley (QUEEN) and of course Tom Hanks.

Sports Editor: Danny Beeck
Sports Editor: Danny Beeck

Danny Beeck

Sports Editor

Danny Beeck is currently a sophomore at California University of Pennsylvania, studying Communication with a concentration in Radio/TV. Along with writing for Cal Times, he is an announcer for CUTV as well as a certified DJ with WCAL. He has aspirations of one day working as a sports reporter for his favorite football team, the New York Giants.

My favorite college sport is football and my favorite team is the Fighting Irish of Notre Dame.

What is your greatest achievement?

My greatest achievement is most likely tied between obtaining my Eagle Scout and also getting my Bar Mitzvah when I was 13 years old.

What is your favorite book?

My favorite book would probably be ESPN The Company.

What is your favorite film?

My favorite movie is Step Brothers.

I would have to choose Eli Manning, Tiki Barber, Alexander Hamilton, Will Smith and Will Ferrell.

Opinions Editor: Mari Boyle
Opinions Editor: Mari Boyle

Mari Boyle

Opinions Editor

Mari Boyle is so excited to take on the position of Opinions Editor for the Cal Times to continue to showcase the great and varied perspectives of Cal U students and to help inform students of important topics locally, nationally, and globally. Mari is a junior in the University Honors Program with a major in Political Science and a minor in Philosophy and hopes to earn her J.D. in the future. Mari is also a proud sister of Delta Zeta, a board member on the SAI Board of Directors, the Recording Secretary for Student Government, and President of Cal Campaign Consultants.

Cal U is my team and basketball is my favorite sport.

What is your greatest achievement?

Being elected to the SAI Board of Directors.

What is your favorite book?

Harry Potter series

What is your favorite film?

The Big Short

Gloria Steinem, Elizabeth Warren, Amy Schumer, Anderson Cooper and Gleen Greenwald

Graphic Designer: Taylor Barta
Graphic Designer: Taylor Barta

Taylor Barta

Graphic Designer

What’s going on? Taylor Barta here. I’m the Graphic Designer at the Cal Times. Creativity is one of my specialties and success is my goal. I’m a sophomore this year at Cal U and very active on campus. Along with working for the Cal Times, I’m an active member in the Delta Chi fraternity and Screen Printing club. I’m in the choir and I also have an extreme love for exercise. Please, if you see me around campus just say hello. Meeting new people is always fun. I’m always a gentleman but a kid at heart. Bangarang!

Iniana University 3 meter Springboard Diving

What is your greatest achievement?

I’m in the top 10 youngest Eagle scout’s in the world.

What is your favorite book?

Looking for Alaska by John Green

What is your favorite film?

Hook

Harambe, Robin Williams, Leonardo DeCaprio, Kevin Hart, and Melissa McCarthy