School supply drive honors fallen student

More stories from Aaron Zimmerman

2015 Greek Week
April 24, 2015

Two organizations from California University of Pennsylvania recently helped collect school supplies for the Tidioute Community Center Charter School.

The project was a collaboration between the Cal U chapter of the Student Pennsylvania State Education Association (SPSEA) and the Phi Sigma Sigma sorority. The Tidioute Community Charter School was chosen as the beneficiary to honor the memory of student, Aubrey Sonney.

“Collecting school supplies for her alma mater will show her legacy by supporting her love for teaching and helping others, all while keeping her hometown in mind,” said Hannah Wieszczyk, the president of Phi Sigma Sigma.

Sonney, 20, passed away after a car accident on Interstate 70 in Rostraver Township on Oct. 11. She was a junior majoring in secondary education and had aspirations of becoming a social studies teacher after graduation.

Students from both organizations gathered outside the Natali Student Center prior to Cal U’s Thanksgiving recess to collect as many school supplies as they could.

Despite many campus residents having already left for Thanksgiving break, the supply drive ended with numerous donations. The students who did donate to the cause received a complimentary cupcake for their contribution.

“We collected two large boxes and three paper grocery bags full of supplies,” said Wieszczyk. “Including pencils, calculators, flash cards, book bags and much more for the school.”

Both groups were satisfied with the turnout and happy to donate supplies to students in need. Those who knew Aubrey were pleased to have successfully found a fitting tribute for their friend. The school supply drive will possibly be reoccurring on Cal U’s campus in following semesters and become an annual event.

Jennifer Gereshenski, Phi Sigma Sigma’s philanthropy chair and a member of SPSEA, remembered her friend as a true teacher.

“Aubrey was a future educator, she would have wanted to support as many children as possible in whatever way possible,” said Gereshenski. “By holding this event, we were able to honor her generosity and love for students by giving back to students who need it the most.”