Cal U Department of Theatre and Dance presents Miracle on 34th Street, The Musical – Dec. 3-6

Cal U Department of Theatre and Dance presents  Miracle on 34th Street, The Musical - Dec. 3-6

Community members will be onstage and high school students will be working behind the scenes when the Department of Theatre and Dance performs Miracle on 34th Street, The Musical. This is the third consecutive year that local singers, actors, dancers and technicians will join Cal U students for the holiday production in Steele Hall Mainstage Theatre. Showtime is 7 p.m. Dec. 3, 4, and 5, with matinees at 2 p.m. Dec. 5 and 6.

Senior Theatre and Dance major Clayton Rush (Avella, Pa.) rehearses with Sidney Willson (Fredericktown, Pa) and Ally Grodz (California, Pa.)

All performances are open to the public. Children from area school districts will attend a school matinee at 10 a.m. Dec. 4 in Steele Hall.

“It’s exciting for our department and the university to come together with the local community to bring this heart-warming show to life,” said department chair Dr. Michele Pagen, who directs the production. 

“The local community cast, children through adults, become part of the theater family, and we love it.”

The family-friendly musical is filled with humor, spectacle and such familiar songs as “Pinecones and Hollyberries” and “It’s Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas.” Based on the 20th Century-Fox Pictures production, its book, music and lyrics are all by Meredith Willson.

The story takes place between the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade and Christmas. It centers on a white-bearded gentleman who claims to be the real Santa Claus — and who brings about a genuine “miracle” on 34th Street, spreading a wave of love throughout New York City.

Among the Cal U students handling behind-the-scenes roles are Mikey Rogers, assistant director; Sidney Popielarcheck, dance captain; and Kellee Cohlhepp, production stage manager. Assistant stage managers Mark Barrett, Grant Prodan and Evan Peffer, all from Brownsville High School.

Brian Eisiminger is providing musical direction, and choreography is by Maria Gismondi ‘02. 

“What better way to ring in the holiday season than with the magic of theater and the touching story about faith in the unknown and the unseen?” Pagen asked.

Ticket price is $12 for patrons of all ages. Students with valid CalCards are admitted for 50 cents; a $5 deposit will be returned when the student attends a performance. 

For more information, or to order tickets (with a credit card) by phone, call the Steele Hall Box Office at 724-938-5943.

Kris Kringle (History major Jon Veres, center, from Pittsburgh) spreads holiday cheer to Shellhammer (Theatre and Dance major Clayton Rush, from Avella) and Doris (Theatre and Dance major Summer Gobel, from Port Vue )