Cal men’s basketball vies for playoff return

Zach Prosba, Cal Times Contributor

Basketball is a game that relies on statistics more than any sport it seems, so when thinking of the Cal U men’s team from the previous season, one statistic stands out in particular that defined their journey: 38.  That is the amount of total points that separated Cal between nine wins and nine losses in the second semester portion of their schedule, with four of those losses coming by a measly two points or less.  That is why the Vulcan men seem primed for a return to the PSAC playoffs and maybe even the national stage after missing the playoffs completely last season.   

Head coach Bill Brown said it best to why the Vulcans can come back from this rare postseason absence.  “We are looking forward to the PSAC challenge,” Brown told the PSAC in their annual preseason outlook, continuing on, “I think last season was the most balanced PSAC West I’ve seen and I imagine the players and faces may change, but the expectations will still be the same.”

Expectations for the team according to the PSAC preseason poll are actually a little bit improved after the Vulcans were picked to finish seventh, exactly where they ended up.  But for the Vulcans this coming season, the team will rely on a group that while young, is experienced and talented enough to compete for even higher than the sixth spot.  Cal returns four starters, including preseason all-PSAC West forward Richard Smith, entering his second and final season with the Vulcans.

Also back are senior guard Khalil Jabbie, who added passing ability that had not been seen from the point in a few seasons, chipping in 4.3 assists-per-game.  Drew Cook returns for his junior campaign and is the lock-down defender every team needs to compete in every matchup.  Also adding to the frontcourt will be sophomore Tony Richardson, giving Cal two players who stand taller than six feet – eight inches and can control the boards.

On the bench, Cal will be looking to replace sixth-man extraordinaire Arman Marks, who graduated last spring.  Marks was the de-facto captain of the squad whose value goes beyond his statistics.  Looking to fill his void will be sophomore Daniel Sapp, who averaged five points-per-game and had flashes of dynamic ability throughout the season.

Newcomers to the team include senior transfer Nate Bellhy from Fort Cherry and sophomore transfer Luka Andusic, who originally hails from Belgrade, Serbia.  Both players could make an immediate impact, but it is unknown what their exact skill-set is and how it fits with the offensive and defensive systems.

Coach Brown spoke highly of the potential the offense has for this upcoming season.  “I think this could be the best three-point shooting team I have had in a while.” Brown said.  If that happens to come true and the Vulcans can put up gaudy numbers from behind-the-arc, then the offense that saw plenty of improvement from 2013 to 2014 could continue to progress.

Back to the schedule though, California has to start taking down some of the big names in the conference such as Gannon, Slippery Rock and Mercyhurst.  Cal lost five of the six games against these teams last year, all by seven points or less.  If Cal had some of these contests go in their direction, the record for the Vulcans would have been good enough to sneak into the PSAC playoffs and possibly catch fire long enough to make a run through the PSAC and possibly the NCAA playoffs.

But that should not be the ultimate goal for the Vulcans.  This is a team looking to make it back to the playoffs before aspiring to anything much bigger.  California was picked behind the top dogs of the conference yet again, but that does not mean that they cannot join the higher ranks and become a force in the PSAC once again.

The Vulcan men were 38 points away from being 9-0 instead of 0-9 in the games that those points came from.  With more experience and arguably more talent because of the experience, California should be well on their way back to the PSAC playoffs.  Once they get there, the sky is the limit as seen with the women’s team last season, who made a spectacular run that no one saw coming.  Maybe the Vulcan men can bring back the tradition of successful basketball to Cal once again and carry the torch from one championship, to another.  Only the players and coaches control that though, and it all starts in one week in West Liberty.