Annual Alcohol Free Mix-Off Takes on Ghoulish Theme

More stories from Aaron Zimmerman

2015 Greek Week
April 24, 2015

California University of Pennsylvania hosted its 25th rendition of the alcohol free mix off event hosted by Greek Life and other student organizations. Students and staff gathered in the performance center Thursday evening for a night sober fun and games.

Students were scrambling to set up tables, decorations, and make sure their drink concoctions were to taste. The event kicked off at 9pm as more people filed in and live music was provided by the Underground Café.

The event is hosted by Cal U’s Options educational program which aims to provide students with activities to do other than binge-drinking. The theme of a “Monster Bash” coincided with the Halloween season and throngs of students came fully dressed for the holiday.

While Halloween is typically known for costumes and candy it is also has a record of being a time where students over consume alcohol in large quantities.

“The mix off is an event we enjoy every year, it’s great to see everyone come out and enjoy a night without drinking,” said Janene Dunbar, a senior graphic design major.

The crowded performance center was lined with tables, each with their own unique drink creation. Students milled around trying each one and sharing a good time with their friends.

Every table was heavily decorated in a spooky fashion and had a drink to match. The sisters of Sigma Kappa chose a witches coven and brewed up a ‘magic potion punch’, while the End Violence Center served up a ‘green snot shot’.

“It’s a great experience. I love coming out to see all of the creativity that organizations put into their drink mixes,” said Taylor Cimino, a senior finance major.

After several live performances by musicians and spoken word artists alike it was time to wrap up the evening.  Before the final winners were announced a costume contest was held. A rendition of Ash Ketchum from Pokemon by sophomore Michael Mertz took first place.

The final event of the evening began shortly after and the champions were announced. Sigma Kappa received the originality award for their witch coven themed brew, while Delta Zeta’s spells and potions theme took the spirit award. Alpha Sigma Alpha’s ‘black death’ drink earned them the best tasting award.

The event hosts, Options, earned themselves the best theme of the night. Program members dressed up as deceased celebrities, each wearing a sign stating what drug or alcohol ended their life.

The Strength and Fitness Club mixed up a ‘protein rambo’ drink along with fully camouflaged members that impressed the judges enough to earn them the overall first place award.

After the crowd had cleared Director of Fraternity and Sorority Life Joy Helsel was very pleased with the mix off. “It went very well, we had a great turnout with 19 organizations participating and everyone had a great time,” said Helsel. “It was a good night to show everyone that we can still have fun without alcohol,” said Helsel.