Honors Students Compile Digital Stories in Wheeling, W.Va.

On Oct. 15, Dr. Christina Fisanick partnered with the Heinz History Center and took 10 freshmen students in her Honors Composition class to Wheeling to research the history of Ohio County. Students Christopher Carabotta, Danielle de Perrot, Sarah Erstfield, Maria Martik, Vanessa Martik, Austin Owens, Jacob Rice, Felix Rivera, Steven Shrenkel, Jessica Spano, and Rebecca Wockley visited the area.. The students took part in an overnight excursion to Oglebay Resort. The students were treated to a dinner at Wheeler House hosted by Alpha Delta Kappa, a women educators’ organization, and a presentation on Wheeling history was given by Dr. David Javersak, a retired West Liberty University history professor. The next day, students divided into pairs to visit and research historical sites around Wheeling, including West Virginia Independence Hall, and the Ohio County Public Library Archives. Each pair of students then turned the research they gathered into two digital stories. One story introducing the site, and a second story featuring the collection, story, or artifact of their choice. The digital stories include video, still photos, graphics, music, and narration.

The trip was co-sponsored by the Heinz History Center, which works with 250 historical sites across the tri-state area.