Vulcan Vengeance: Men’s Soccer Takes on Slippery Rock

JOSHUA_RICHARDSON

Brad Powell, 14, slide tackles a Slippery Rock player.

Jonathan Hershey, Staff Writer

The California Vulcans played 110 minutes on the pitch resulting in a 0-0 tie to last season’s PSAC tournament champions Slippery Rock. The match last night was very physical; Captain Eleazar Luciano stated how “They knocked us out last year in playoffs and I guess that’s what fueled that fire today.”

Despite the match being scoreless it was far from boring, with a total of 17 shots from the Vulcans and only 6 from the Rockies. The defense held together with standout player of the game, Eleazar Luciano, who had multiple saves that were crucial in preventing the Rockies from scoring. With the numerous shots on goal, striker Mike Cummings (sophomore) was there to lead the attack with help from Elliot Taylor (senior), Eric Campbell (sophomore) and Cory Kuzilla (senior).

When the substitutions came in during the 75th minute, the ball movement and offensive attacks sparked. The fresh legs certainly made a difference for our team and created multiple opportunities such as corner kicks. Unfortunately, their time was limited and they were replaced with the starters after 5-10 minutes.

The attendance for the ‘Code Red Event’, a new push for students to go out to Cal U’s sporting events and wear their Vulcan Nation shirts in support, was 230. This number is significantly higher than most of the men’s games last season.

After the match goalie Lucas Exner said “Our goal is to make the PSAC tournament, but we have to think from game to game.” With this tie the mens team is now tied for 2nd place in the PSAC with their next game being home on Saturday, September 17th at 6pm against West Chester.

Fans fill the stands for the mens soccer "Code Red" game.
Brendan Garay
Fans fill the stands for the men’s soccer “Code Red” game.

Team Statistics

Team Statistics
Statistic 1 2 OT 1 OT 2 T
SHOTS
ROCK-M 1 3 0 2 6 (2)
CAL-M 4 10 3 0 17 (5)
SAVES
ROCK-M 1 3 1 0 5
CAL-M 1 1 0 0 2
CORNER KICKS
ROCK-M 0 0 1 0 1
CAL-M 2 2 2 0 6
OFFSIDES
ROCK-M 1 0 0 0 1
CAL-M 1 0 0 0 1
() Shots On Goal.